About Me

My photo
In 2011 I considered myself a pop culture junkie. I cleaned up and tried to only focus on a few pop culture obsessions at a time. In 2017, I relapsed.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim

The Gaslight Anthem are (depending on who you ask) either the best thing to come out of New Jersey since Springsteen (or the Misfits), or the most overrated thing to come out of New Jersey since Springsteen (or the Misfits). I fall into the former category, although I think most of the hate just comes from the fact that they get a lot of hype. At least that's what I gather from punknews.org, where there's a lot of hate to be spread. Or so I gather when I do check that site.

Moving on, The Gaslight Anthem, to me, are an amazing band who have yet to release a bad song. There's a chance I only think of them that way because they only have two releases; a 12 track full length and a four song EP. Either way, these guys know how to craft a good song. They aren't the most original sounding band ever (I think most refer to them as a "punk rock Bruce Springsteen"), but these guys acknowledge this by referencing their influences throughout their songs. The single I'da Called You Woody, Joe is chock full of references to the late Joe Strummer. Not to mention (and I know this is often mentioned in any review of their 2007 debut) the "woah-oh-oh's" in the first track Boomboxes and Dictionaries sound like they were directly lifted from Against Me!'s Sink, Florida, Sink.

without further ado, here it is:



01. Boomboxes and Dictionaries
02. I Coulda Been a Contender
03. Wooderson
04. We Came to Dance
05. 1930
06. The Navesink Banks
07. Red in the Morning
08. I'da Called You Woody, Joe
09. Angry Johnny and the Radio
10. Drive
11. We're Getting a Divorce, You Keep the Diner
12. Red at Night


the link is dead, but you should probably buy this one anyway.

No comments: