About Me

My photo
In 2011 I considered myself a pop culture junkie. I cleaned up and tried to only focus on a few pop culture obsessions at a time. In 2017, I relapsed.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Beastie Boys - Some Old Bullshit

I don't know what's harder to believe: that the Beastie Boys started off as a hardcore punk band from NYC, or that people still don't know that the Beastie Boys started off as a hardcore punk band from NYC.

I'm gonna go with the latter. Seriously, how do people not know this by now? Every time some ignorant white kid tells another white kid they don't like the Beastie Boys because "they're rap," they're schooled on their BB history. When it was announced that Sabotage was going to be in Guitar Hero III, all the same type of ignorant white boys cried "but they're a rap group! you can't play guitar to that!"
...I just wanted to grab them by the throat much like Homer grabs Bart while asking them if they've even heard the song before.


enough bitching about that though. The fact remains, whether white kids want to realize it or not, the Beastie Boys started their career off as a snotty young punk band from New York City playing with the likes of Reagan Youth and Bad Brains (the inspiration for a band name with the initials BB). Later they were discovered by Rick Rubin and recorded the "frat rap" Licensed to Ill (which, when you think about it, has a lot of guitar parts in it). They've gotten a lot better since then (though I still think The New Style, She's Crafty and Rhymin' and Stealin' are all great), but in the mid-90's, they released a compilation of some of their early tracks. And by early tracks, I mean their pre-hip hop career songs. You know, back when they were a hardcore punk band from NYC. What? You didn't know that? Shut up.

This album is by no means perfect. In fact, I think it gets kind of annoying at times, but when I'm looking for a hardcore fix, it gets the job done. Although in terms of perfection when it comes to the Beastie Boys, pretty much anything they've released since Paul's Boutique is gold (my personal favorites are Check Your Head and To the 5 Boroughs, but they all have their moments) (I can't actually speak for 2007's The Mix Up. I'm just not much of a guy for all instrumental albums).

so here ya go, Some Old Bullshit by the Beastie Boys




01. Egg Raid on Mojo
02. Beastie Boys
03. Transit Cop
04. Jimi
05. Holy Snappers
06. Riot Fight
07. Ode To...
08. Michelle's Farm
09. Egg Raid on Mojo
10. Transit Cop
11. Cookie Puss
12. Bonus Batter
13. Beastie Revolution
14. Cookie Puss (Censored)

http://www.mediafire.com/?jewpuxrbh2o

No comments: