About Me

My photo
In 2011 I considered myself a pop culture junkie. I cleaned up and tried to only focus on a few pop culture obsessions at a time. In 2017, I relapsed.

Monday, December 20, 2010

The End of an Era.

So I've pretty much finished college. Two finals tomorrow and I'm done. It's a weird thought.


It's been a nice run. Crispell 304B has been my home for four years now and on Wednesday after I move out it will be no more. There's something nice in knowing that I'll be the last person to ever occupy this room as it is.


I spent the other day reflecting at Hasbrouck at all the things I've done here at New Paltz. I saw people sitting with their friends even though they had finished eating twenty minutes prior and I thought of my freshman year when I could afford to do the same thing. I saw people running in, grabbing a slice of pizza and then running back out like I used to do when I was late for class. I saw other people swiping their friends in and it brought me back to when I'd have to feed my friends. Hell, I even saw some kids working out ways to sneak food out like I used to do for when I'd get hungry at the later hours of the night.


I can remember watching High Fidelity almost every single day. I can remember spending almost every waking hour trying to collect every single star in Super Mario Galaxy. I remember that I had to work when Obama got elected and how I spent my night with Jess O'Mara complaining about how we had to stay in the building on duty instead of joining the rest of campus. I remember that first basement show that NO played and the very first girl I had a crush on in college. The first time I got drunk and the times being drunk got me into trouble; the first time I had to go to court and the overall sense of happiness after I got out of there; the first time I felt comfortable enough writing and recording my own songs and then hating how they all came out in the end; the first time I learned how to torrent and then realizing how stupid it was; the first time going to White Castle at 3am with friends and the after-effects it had on my stomach. My first tour. My first radio show. My first news broadcast and my first real enemy. There are a lot of firsts I've experienced since getting here. It's definitely been the highlight of my life so far and I fear that it will only go downhill from here.


If there's anything I've learned about leaving school though, it's that I have way too much shit. I've got a desk full of things I just don't need. A bag of unused hacky-sacks, really? That shit has got to go.

No comments: